E-SToPP’s transformative mission and vision was born from our staunch belief that systemic and philosophical changes must occur before we as a society will develop truly effective and humane schools and educational opportunities that all of our children deserve.
E-SToPP’s mission is to provide youth, who are involved in or at risk of being involved in suspension, expulsion, serious school failure, dropping out, and/or incarceration, with hope for a new life through holistic care, empowering education, sustainability, and social entrepreneurship.
E-SToPP’s “safe haven” model empowers and prepares youth with sophisticated academic, vocational, social, health and wellness, and critical thinking tools and skills they need for successful high school graduation, college, work, and a healthy life as leaders in their community and society. E-SToPP ultimately provides open access, collaboration, and accountability through transformative research, education, and praxis for the purpose of transforming public school and juvenile justice education systems. By advancing education for distressed, underprivileged, and disenfranchised youth and their families and communities, E-SToPP helps mitigate community violence, deterioration, prejudice, discrimination, and juvenile delinquency in the long-term.
Our core values and guiding principles apply to everyone involved in E-SToPP:
- Advisory systems of accountability
- Compassion and care
- Democracy (equity, access, public use, grass-roots ownership) and engaged citizenship
- High expectations and perseverance
- Honesty and respect
- Leadership and empowering mentorships
- Nonviolent, peaceful, and healthy living
- Restorative and responsible practices
- Wise decision making and positive contributions to family, community, and society